1) This week’s Torah portion is Bamidbar (“in the desert”)
Torah Portion: Numbers 1:1 – 4:20
Haftarah (supplemental portion): Hosea 2:1 – 2:22
2) (Note: Will start the thread, leave it open, and return to it b/c not much time right now.)
3) From the summary it appears this Bible reading is about identifying who exactly is in the Jewish people – census, formation, emblems for the 12 tribes.
4) Here are a number of links to interesting Kabbalistic commentaries.
5) This is one nice commentary mentioned – Rabbi Elimelech of Lizhensk:
Why does the Torah say specifically “in the wilderness of Sinai, in the Tent of Meeting” (Numbers 1:1) /1
Do we really need such detail? God is everywhere.
And why does it matter where Moses was?
* “In the wilderness of Sinai” – “abe as humble as Mount Sinai, the smallest of all the mountains.”
8) Wow this stuff is great. Bookmarking
9) “For six years you shall prune your vineyard.” (25:3) “The Jewish people are called a ‘vineyard'” (Isaiah 5).
“Each and every Jew must work at clearing up and pruning his own vineyard-his unfavorable traits such as jealousy, hatred, lustfulness, etc. “
11) Mystical meaning of the census – “Take a census of the entire congregation of the Children of Israel.” (Numbers 1:2)
12) “Our Sages note that the giving of the Torah at Sinai required the presence of all 600,000 Jews; if just one had been missing, the Torah would not have been given.”
13) ” was not enough for all Jews to be present; it was necessary that the Jewish people be united in love for one another. “Israel camped there [before Mount Sinai] as one man with one mind.”
14) This peace and unity is the channel for all Divine blessings, including the greatest of all — the coming of Mashiach. “
[Reprinted with permission from L’Chaim Magazine ( http://www.lchaim.org ).]”
got to go…
Have something to add but it needs its own thread. Will end this one here.
By Dr. Dannielle Blumenthal. All opinions are the author’s own. Public domain. You can also read this online here.