There is a lot more to talk about in this week’s Bible portion. Should I do another thread? If it’s too much it can wait.
Ok I will do it. But will try to limit the length of the thread. In 10.
1) Just as a reminder we are still in Acharei Mos.
2) Earlier today we talked about the meaning of Azazel, the Yom Kippur sin-offering, the goat, and I, Pet Goat II as a prophetic vision. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1124657120413192192.html …
3) *Correction to that thread: The phone spell-corrected Haftarah (supplemental reading) as Haggadah (book or reading).
5) Remember our discussion of consent? They cannot act without your consent? Where does that come from, you asked.
7) This text, page 648. https://www.amazon.com/Chumash-Stone-Travel-Size-Artscroll/dp/1578191076 …
8) The discussion has turned from Azazel and the sin-offering to the prohibitions against consuming blood, child sacrifice, sexual immorality, and more.
“Everybody” did that stuff.
9) God: I warned you, so if you do it again, I will punish you.
The Family: You consented (**under duress, conditioning and deceit**) so your sin is yours and your punishment, from us, is deserved.
11) OK another point is that the Jews left a totally evil place and had to conquer a totally evil place and do good instead of bad. (Lev. 18:3-4) Just to put the Torah into context, it has always been God versus idols, not God versus other religions.
13) Lev. 18:22 – my personal interpretation here is that the emphasis is on the words “as with a woman.”
14) Why is this important? Because here the Bible is calling out the most fundamental kinds of immorality, and sexual orientation is something you are born with. This verse has caused so many people so much heartache.
15) I believe this type of thing (Bacha Bazi) is what the Bible speaks of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi
17) OK let’s go to the supplemental reading.
By Dr. Dannielle Blumenthal. All opinions are the author’s own. Public domain. You can also read this thread here.